Monday, January 24, 2011

My Generous Girl

I had almost forgotten to post about this, with the holidays, Shay's birthday, and just the hustle and bustle around here (not to mention my lame computer problems), but today I was looking through photos and stumbled upon some pictures that reminded me one of the reasons why I love my daughter so much. First, there is a story.

While at Sam's Club before Christmas, we were just strolling along browsing the toys. We had no intention of buying any toys. I spotted some Tinkertoys. They were a good price, so I put them in the cart. Shay of course was with me, because it is rare that I ever get out of the house without her. When she saw them, she was so excited. Quickly thinking, I said, "They're for some other kid." She was fine with that, no fussing, no crying. I thought, cool, I can hide them away, and bring them out on Christmas. Well, later on that evening, she announced she needed to wrap a gift. I asked her what gift, because she hadn't bought any gifts. She replied with "The Tinkertoys that we bought for a boy or girl that needs them." She was so sweet. So the next day, despite a few tears when she realized that maybe she DID want the Tinkertoys herself, we headed out to the local firehouse to drop off the Tinkertoys to Toys 4 Tots.
Having some second thoughts.

Look at how proud she is!

The fireman was so impressed, he took her on a tour.

She wanted to go in this house badly.




 She was so proud of herself and was telling everybody she could about how she gave a toy that she really wanted to a boy or girl who needed it more than she did. I was so proud of my girl too.

So on Christmas morning...



Did Santa reward her for her generosity?

Yep!

So happy!

I am so grateful that I have a child who thinks of others. I was planning on doing something for those less fortunate with her, but she beat me to it. I think I am the one who learned something this time.

2 comments: