Monday, August 30, 2010

The First Day!

Today was a great first day. We started a little late- 8:15am. We talked about the United States and how people from other countries came over by ship long ago and had to find ways to communicate  and live side by side with the Native Americans. This week, we are studying Maine and New Hampshire, so we read about Lighthouses and Puffins today. We discovered where Maine was, and that is was in the Northeastern part of the United States. She read well out of her reader. At first, she was a little hesitant because the type was smaller than she was used to, but she read 99% of it without help. Writing was a bit of a challenge, but only because she is a perfectionist. I may have to have her work on this without me watching. Her math was pretty easy for her, and she breezed through 2 lessons. She probably could have handled more, but I want her to enjoy it.We ended school with watching a youtube video of Martina McBride's "God Bless America!" We finished in about an hour and a half.


After school, we went to the library and picked up some books to supplement the curriculum for the next two weeks. A quick trip to the grocery store, and we were all done with everything by lunch time.

I'm looking forward to this year. I think she is too!

2 comments:

  1. It looks so exciting! I'm going to check out your curriculum; I may start it with M in the Spring. It sounds awesome!

    Do you know the "Fifty Nifty United States" song? If not, I can teach it to you. To this day I can name all 50 states in alphabetical order b/c I learned this song in the 5th grade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know that song. Yes, please teach me it.

    ReplyDelete