Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Alphabetizing and the Perfectionist

We found this website- it's a UK site, so some of the content on the site is oriented for children in that part of the world (UK history, metric system, etc), but it has an interactive alphabetizing game, that so far seems like it works for children on this side of the pond. It's called www.primaryresources.co.uk.

Pretty basic.
Click and drag into ABC order. Easy.
                                    

A little harder.
She thinks she got it  right.

I can't look, I can't look.
She is terrified of getting it wrong. I told her nothing would happen if she did get it wrong. I don't know what she thinks will happen- little men will pop out of the computer and smack her on the head? I don't know. Sigh. This is something we are working through. "It might get harder, do you want to keep going," I ask?

All "c" words.

WOW!
Oh man, going 3 letters in!

Well little guys didn't come out of the computer, but I did get this.
Going for a second try.

Covering her eyes as she hits enter.

I can't look, I can't look.
She did great! She went up about 10 levels. A few times she would put them in order, but before she hit send she would ask me if it was right, and I would always tell her (whether she got them all correct or some of them wrong) that she could check it again, and if she thought she was right to go ahead. Most of the time, if she made mistakes she found them before she hit enter. A few times, she was wrong.


After she completed 10 levels (and then it was getting REALLY hard), she asked to play it again.

You go Shayleigh!
Anyone else have a perfectionist at their house? Tell me, how do you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment