Sunday, September 25, 2011

Strike?!

Last Thursday was Shayleigh's first day of her Homeschool Bowling League. I have to brag and say that she comes from a family of awesome bowlers.  Her great grandfather was a professional duck pin bowler in the Washington DC area and most everyone in our family got his awesome bowling genes. I have to be honest and say that I am not one of them. Shayleigh has bowled once before, at her Great Aunt Vicky's wedding, but she was only 18 months, so I don't think that counts. She is quite the pro at Wii bowling though, so she went into the Bowling Alley feeling pretty confident she was going to get a turkey.
Um, these balls are kinda heavy Mom.
Ok, so the Wii controller is a lot lighter than a bowling ball. We did manage to find a 6 pounder, but Shayleigh is 33 pounds wet, so what's that like 1/5 of her weigh? I showed her how to put her fingers in the right holes and how to throw the ball down the correct lane. And...

Approaching the line...
Easy does it!
That's right, she grannied it! I did mention it was SIX pounds, right? Oh, and here's the best part of her bowling...
She bowls and runs!
Here's another great shot of her technique:
She totally rocks!
She did manage to get 9 pins down in one of the frames. The ball was probably one of the slowest balls I've ever seen going down the lane. But I'm happy to report that not once did an employee have to come over and rescue her ball from the middle of the lane.
Hey, did you know that bowling shoes are high heeled?

This is her teammate. I think they rocked a combined score of just over 100. Go team!  
But it's all good- he brought bowling cupcakes- see the pins and the balls?
Another teammate was so encouraging. She's 8 and she knows a lot about bowling.
It was a great first bowling experience. What I loved was watching her bowl and get so excited when any pins fell down. Sometimes, believe it or not, even with the bumpers, she managed to miss all the pins. Shayleigh just said, "That's ok Mom, I'll get them next time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment